Monday, March 30, 2009

WWJD?

I was forwarded an email over the weekend has really made me think about the phrase, "What would Jesus do?". The email is regarding the family that was killed in the recent plane crash in Montana. According to this email, the family affected by this tragedy owned an abortion clinic. The email basically states that this family was killed due to their involvement in the "murder of children". The article came from the Christian Newswire. This is a prime example of why I no longer associate myself with any organized religion. The amount of hypocrisy, greed, and corruption surrounding many religious organizations has completely turned me away from organized religion.

The Bible has been used to defend the discrimination and oppression of so many people. I feel that the church has gotten away from its tenants and is no longer recognizable. Jesus, as he was imparted to me by my grandfather, was a generous, caring, and non-discriminating man. As Christians we should live our lives and show through our actions Christ-like love towards all humanity. It is not for us humans to determine the judgement of others. For a Christian organization to propagate such an ugly and judgemental vision of who this family is/was goes against everything I was taught to believe in. I am saddened by this article and the use of Christianity in this manner. Jesus did not turn away from prostitutes, lepers, murderers, or any other person. Rather, he did not condemn them but loved them. He by example through his actions and unconditional love. This is how we should live as well. Always ask yourself, "What would Jesus do?". I do not believe Jesus would speak ill of the deceased, nor would he condone such actions by others.

I do not want to proliferate such hatred but if you would like to read the article I am referring to it can be found at http://www.gingiedmonds.com/.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I am in total agreement with you! We always need to think WWJD? Give us an update on what you found out at the doctor please! I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete