Monday, January 26, 2009

Ranting and Raving (Warning...long)

Okay, so I watch the Dugger's on TLC. I am both appalled and captivated by that show. It is like Howard Stern, you can't stand it but you can't stop listening! Last night they had the Very Dugger Wedding where Joshua, the oldest, got married. He and his wife courted and vowed not to kiss until their wedding day. There is something to be said for waiting until marriage to have sex but the whole kissing thing has me baffled. I kissed alot of frogs before I found my husband. There were guys I thought I was physically attracted to but when we kissed there was nothing there. I would be so scared that that chemistry would not be there and then it is too late. I also do not understand why you want to share your first kiss with 300 guests. I will ALWAYS remember my first kiss with Steven. I will remember that feeling forever. It was a very special moment that was shared with just the two of us.

I was also appalled that in their wedding vows they vowed to allow God to determine the number and spacing of children they would have. Great, just what we need more families having upteen million children. Even the Catholic church condones natural family planning! I think it is very irresponsible to have that many children. And exactly how is a used car salesman (that is what Joshua does) supposed to support those children? I do think it is great that the Dugger's on not on government assistance, I don't know how but they say they aren't. In one episode, the older girls went to Florida with Joshua so they could help with wedding plans. The parents said how hard it was with the little kids without the older girls there to help. THEN DON'T HAVE SO MANY KIDS!!! It should not be the older children's responsibility to raise the younger children. I also have issues with the homeschooling aspect but we can leave that for another post :)

Going back to the birth control issue. This morning on CNN they were discussing the new economic stimulus plan. Apparantly they have stuck in some legislation regarding funding for birth control programs. They were interviewing some right wing person who made a comment regarding providing birth control without parental permission. Well, guess what folks, these kids do not have parental permission when they decide to have sex! My thought is that if they are taking steps to be halfway responsible in preventing pregnancy, why would anyone want to stop that? I understand there are side effects from the pill and other birth control methods but it is not like they would be getting it from the black market. It still has to be prescribed by a physician and they still have to return to the doctor to get refills. In my line of work, I see so many teenagers who have babies and who have no business raising a child at this point in their lives. I also see families who have multiple children and cannot support them. And who pays for this? We do, thats who. I would rather pay for birth control to prevent pregnancy than pay for other services once the pregnancy has occured.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong. Children are a blessing but I am very jaded having worked at CPS and now at Juvenile Probation. You have to have a license to drive, a license to get married, a license to own a business or cut hair. You should have have a license to have children too.

1 comment: