Saturday, February 21, 2009

What a week!

Colby started running a fever on Monday and continued to run fever until Friday. I originally thought it was the flu but when he still had a fever on Wednesday, I took him to the doctor. The doctor did a strep test (the three day one) but said he really thought it was just an upper respiratory infection. The doctor said that if we do not hear anything by Friday the results were negative. So, Friday comes and we haven't heard anything about the strep test so we assume it is negative. Colby's fever finally came down and I thought everything had worked itself out. Imagine my surprise when at 7 am today he comes into my room and says his ear hurts. So, I call to get authorization to take him to an urgent care clinic. We wait 2 hours at the urgent care clinic to find out that he had strep throat and it has moved to his ears! I am one hot momma! My poor kid had to miss a week of school and suffer through strep throat without antibiotics. The ear infection could have been prevented if 1.) they had done a rapid strep and 2.) they would have called with the results and gave him antibiotics. He is now on a hearty dose of amoxicillin twice a day. Here is to a better week next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment